By Samantha Pudelski, American Red Cross volunteer
February 20, 2019- When you think of the American Red Cross, what is the first thing you think of? Blood drives may immediately come to mind, or our services to provide relief to those affected by disaster. You may recall the CPR or First Aid training you completed a few years ago.
Have you ever thought about volunteering for the Red Cross?
What you may not know is that there are many different opportunities available to volunteer for the Red Cross. There are volunteers who share their time and talents in the areas of finance, IT, customer service, administrative work, communications and more. Whether you have a particular skill or just want to help a good cause, there are plenty of options available for people in Northeast Ohio to volunteer.
Here are just a few of the opportunities currently available for the Northeast Ohio Region of the Red Cross:
Transportation Specialist (Cuyahoga and Summit Counties only)
- Duties: Support the collection efforts of the Northern Ohio Blood Services Region by transporting blood and blood products from blood collection sites to the laboratory for processing via mid-blood drive pickups.
- Commitment: Drive two to four routes a month
Blood Drive Volunteer (Donor Ambassador)
- Duties: Welcome and greet donors, escort as necessary and assist with initial intake of the blood donation process. Ensure blood donors have relevant information and that questions are answered appropriately. In addition, attend to donors in the hospitality area, ensure each donor is recognized for his/her contribution and set up and maintain reception and hospitality areas.
- Commitment: one shift (four to six hours) a month
Disaster Response (Disaster Action Team Member)
- Duties: Serve in an on-call capacity to assist those affected by disasters by providing timely, quality and compassionate service.
- Commitment: 24 hours on call (Four six-hour shifts or two 12-hour shifts)
More than 90 percent of the Red Cross workforce consists of volunteers.
Volunteers help make the vital work of the Red Cross possible. Check out www.redcross.org/volunteer to learn more about becoming a volunteer and to apply today!
You can attend an upcoming volunteer information session in Cleveland or Akron to hear about volunteer opportunities and to ask any questions you may have in a face-to-face setting. The sessions will be held on the following dates and times:
- March 6, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m, Regional Headquarters, 3747 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115
- March 9, 10 – 11 a.m., Regional Headquarters in Cleveland (see address above)
- March 13, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m., Summit, Portage and Medina Counties Chapter Headquarters, 501 West Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44303
- March 16, 10 – 11 a.m., Summit, Portage and Medina Counties Chapter Headquarters (see address above)
Register to attend a volunteer information session by contacting Melanie Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-204-6615.
Edited by Glenda Bogar, American Red Cross volunteer.