By Samantha Pudelski/Edited by Glenda Bogar, American Red Cross volunteers
January 9, 2019 – The help wanted sign is out.
The American Red Cross is looking for AmeriCorps workers in Northeast Ohio. It’s a unique opportunity for talented individuals to contribute to the Red Cross mission, while earning a small paycheck AND money to help with tuition or repay student loans.
What is the Red Cross mission? To prevent and alleviate human suffering. So being part of the Red Cross Corps will allow members to help people in the community, while at the same time developing their professional skills.
How does a Red Cross Corp member contribute to the Red Cross mission?
Members work alongside Red Cross staff on a variety of projects that support the mission of the Red Cross, to:
- Deliver preparedness education to adults through the Home Fire Campaign, which seeks to reduce home fire-related deaths and injuries in the United States.
- Deliver preparedness to youth through the Pillowcase Project, which educates on what disasters are and how to prepare for them.
- Build local volunteer capacity to support preparedness education by training new lead volunteers.
John Gareis, who manages preparedness and community planning for the Red Cross in Northeast Ohio, said, “By helping support our Home Fire Campaign and Pillowcase Project, we have been able to teach more households and children about fire prevention and the importance of being prepared.”
Former Red Cross Corps member Shelby Begg said, “I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to provide impactful service to so many families throughout Northeastern Ohio, and that I got to work alongside so many wonderful people.”
- $14,000 taxable living stipend distributed bi-weekly payments of approximately $583 for 11 months of service.
- Student loan deferment or forbearance.
- Upon successful completion of term of service, eligible for a taxable education award in the amount of $6,095 which can be used to pay educational costs at eligible post-secondary educational institutions (including many technical schools and GI-Bill approved educational programs), as well as to repay qualified student loans.
- Health insurance offered.
- Childcare available if eligible.
The Northeast Ohio Region of the Red Cross is currently looking for four individuals to join the Red Cross AmeriCorps team for 2019. This is a full-time position with an 11-month term of service that provides opportunities for professional development while making a difference in local communities.
- Greater Cleveland Chapter – 3747 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115
- Summit, Portage & Medina Counties Chapter – 501 West Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44303
- Lake to River Chapter – 3530 Belmont Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio 44505
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact John Gareis at 216-431-3219 or firstname.lastname@example.org.