By Samantha Pudelski, American Red Cross volunteer
July 1, 2019- It’s finally starting to feel like summer here in Northeast Ohio; and with summer comes vacation plans. Whether you’re traveling domestically or internationally, keep these few tips and resources in mind from the American Red Cross for a safe and fun summer.
Prior to your trip:
- Visit the U.S. Department of State website, State.Gov, for information on what you need to know when planning a trip abroad.
- Going to a remote destination? Make sure you are up to speed on your first aid and CPR training. Find a class in Northeast Ohio to take before you go.
- Are you going somewhere near the water? Make sure everyone knows how to swim and proper water safety practices. Register for a class near you.
- Make sure you have the proper vaccinations for the area you are traveling to, especially if your trip is taking you internationally. Some countries require travelers to have certain vaccinations prior to entering their country, while other vaccines are recommended for your safety. Visit the CDC website for a full list and additional details.
- Pack a first aid kit in your luggage to make sure you have basic supplies to treat cuts and burns and be prepared in case of emergency. You can get a first aid kit from the Red Cross here.
- Make sure you bring all proper identification and medical cards that you may need, including personal ID, passport and insurance cards. Take a photo of them just in case one gets lost on your trip.
When you arrive, make sure you are prepared in case of an emergency by:
- Locating smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and fire escape routes in your hotel or home.
- Make sure everyone knows where the nearest police, fire and medical facilities are, or at least knows who to call in case of an emergency.
- If you’re traveling internationally, make sure you know where the nearest U.S. Embassy is located and keep its contact information on you at all times.
For more information on programs in the Northeast Ohio Region of the Red Cross and to learn how you can get involved to help your local community, visit https://www.redcross.org/local/ohio/northeast.html.
Edited by Glenda Bogar, American Red Cross volunteer