By Samantha Pudelski and edited by Glenda Bogar, American Red Cross volunteers.
It’s a new year, filled with new ambitions and goals to accomplish in 2019. In addition to the traditional resolutions of eating healthier, working to get that promotion or learning a new skill, consider adding a few of these resolutions to your list:
- Test your smoke alarms in your home, and make sure your household is prepared with an exit plan. Visit the American Red Cross Home Fire Safety page for tips and best practices.
- Pack an emergency preparedness kit in case of emergency or disaster to ensure you have the supplies you need for your home. Review the Red Cross checklist of items that every household needs to be prepared.
- Create an emergency plan for your home to prepare for the different types of emergencies that are mostly likely to happen where you live. You can access more information and plan templates here.
- Have pets? Make sure you have an emergency plan for your pets, Many pets were displaced in the recent California wildfires, with households having to evacuate quickly with the approaching flames. You can create a plan for your household using these tips.
- Donate to the Red Cross and help us provide relief to those affected by disasters and other crises. You can donate by visiting redcross.org/donate, call 1-800-RED CROSS or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Give the gift of life by donating blood. Did you know that the Red Cross provides about 40 percent of our nation’s blood and blood components, but only about 10 percent of eligible people donate? You can learn more about donating blood and make your appointment here.
- Volunteer your time with the Red Cross. Did you know that 90 percent of Red Cross workforce is made up of volunteers, helping in a variety of capacities? If you are interested in making an impact in local communities, visit redcross.org/volunteer, contact our Volunteer Services Department directly at 216-431-3328 or NEOvolunteer@redcross.org.
- Stock your first aid kit. Make sure you have a kit handy in both your car and home. You can use this checklist from the Red Cross, or purchase a kit from the Red Cross Store.
The Northeast Ohio Region of the Red Cross will continue to work toward the mission of the Red Cross in 2019 to:
- Help people affected by disasters receive care, shelter and hope across the country and around the world.
- Aid our communities to prepare and be ready for disasters.
- Provide access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products to people across the country.
- Help all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed.
- Organize trained individuals to be nearby, in the event of an emergency, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.