The American Red Cross’ unwavering commitment to members of the U.S. military, its veterans and their families continues to grow and develop more than a century after Clara Barton first recruited nurses to support the U.S. Army. Today, the Red Cross is meeting the needs of a changing military and expanding services to veterans. Red Cross support of military members and their families enhances morale and contributes to increased operational capability in several ways.
The Red Cross provides critical services with a caring touch to men and women in all branches of the United States military, active duty personnel, reservists and members of the National Guard, and their families. Through our Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) program, service men and women are eligible for three types of assistance beginning on the first day of enlistment: Emergency Services, Service to Military Families and Service to Military and Veterans Hospitals.
In Northeast Ohio we have a number of opportunities to support our Service to the Armed Forces program:
- Casework follow up for emergency communication and financial assistance cases
- Support Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service (VAVS) at various locations such as: Louis Stokes VA Medical Center and outpatient clinics (Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Lorain, Mansfield, Parma, Youngstown and the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery) and the Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky
- Represent the Red Cross at military and military family outreach events
- Conduct family briefings at the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) in Cleveland as new recruits get ready to leave for training
- K-9 Action Team pet visitation
If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering with our SAF program apply via Volunteer Connection.
- Current volunteers: sign in, click “opportunities”, apply
- New volunteers: visit https:redcross.org/neo
- Click on “volunteer” tab in left margin
- Submit application profile and complete remaining application checklist